Hoopla Teal W HTML

Friday 29 November 2013

Cakey Bakey

Having recently had an addition to the family I'm always conscious about the amount of time I spend with Monkey Joe.  I don't want him to feel left out and he's developing at such a rapid rate I don't want to miss out on anything either.  I know he's only one and a half but I thought it was high time that we did some baking.  We've made salt dough before and he made a glorious mess but I decided to bite the bullet and be brave.  So, without further ado, here's Monkey Joe's guide to baking buns!

First of all you need a bowl and a spoon (and an apron, that's important!)


Measure out 100g of butter or marg.  Put it into the bowl and mix well until soft.


Measure out 100g of sugar, add to the butter and cream together until light and fluffy.  Add one beaten egg and two capfuls of vanilla extract.  Mix together well.


Next, measure out 100g of self-raising flour and sift into the mixing bowl.

 

Obviously putting the sieve on your face helps...

Once you have mixed the flour into the butter-egg-sugar mixture you should put paper cases into a bun tray.

 
OI MONKEY!  WE NEED THAT MIXTURE!

 
 
Put dessertspoonfuls of the mixture into the paper cases.  It should make 12 but for some reason ours made 9... 
 

 
Place in the oven at 190C for about 10-15 minutes depending on your oven.  NOW you can  lick the bowl Monkey!
 
 
Take the cakes out of the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.


When they're cool you can decorate them.  We used plain white icing and coloured sprinkles.



And TAH-DAH!  The finished article!  They tasted good and Monkey Joe hardly made any mess.  I'll try other things with him now, maybe gingerbread tree decorations.  He did spend the whole day running around shouting "CAKE!"  at everything though but has now learned how to say "delicious"...

10 comments:

  1. Looks like a fab day, I love cooking with my littlies even though mine is definitely messier than yours was! Yum scrum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya. I keep forgetting that he's only 18months old. He's such a little cracker.

      Delete
  2. making cakes with little ones is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww adorable. We made cakes last week and it was the first time in ages, but it really is quality time, and at the same time, teaching them skills in the kitchen! You have some fab photos to cherish here! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't stop looking at them. His fine motor skills are really improving too

      Delete
  4. Looks like fun! I bet there was a lot of cleaning up to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous!! I love it when they learn to say delicious, always sounds lovely coming from a toddler! :)

    ReplyDelete