Hoopla Teal W HTML

Tuesday 9 October 2012

Devil on my Shoulder?

I know that I should really start retiring my maternity clothes now.  The little Monkey is nearly six months old but they're REALLY comfy.  Especially the tops.  So I suppose it's my own fault that I still look pregnant.  I'm a big girl, I'm under no illusions about that!  I used to get asked at least once a year by a student when I was due.  It's honestly never bothered me.

The other day I went to Tesco to do the weekly shop (other brands of supermarket are available).  I was Monkey-less and I got chatting to a woman in the queue for the checkout.

"Ooooh" she says.  "When are you due?  You mustn't have long to go now!"

To be fair, I know most women would be horrified by a comment like that and start up the internal "do I look fat in this" monologue.  Not me.  I think I may be a little strange.

With the corners of my lips curling up into a small smile I replied...

"Oh no love, I'm not pregnant.  I'm just fat."

The little devil on my shoulder started rolling around with hilarity at the look on her face.  It's hard to describe, although mortification comes close.  She really thought she'd upset me and I had to hold in my chuckles at the way she tried to back-track.  I'm not completely mean and I did try to reassure her that although I wasn't expecting, I'd recently had a baby so her mistake was completely understandable and that I honestly wasn't offended.  Bless her, she was still spluttering as she paid for her shopping and walked away.

The checkout lady started scanning my shopping and, as she picked up the chocolate cheesecake I'd got for me and The Husband, she glanced up at me.

"I'm looking forward to that", I said, patting my stomach.  "I'm eating for one".


 
The Monkey and his Monkeys

No comments:

Post a Comment